National Geographic Society Geography Intern Program
How to Apply
Students (including those who have applied before) must submit their information through an online application at www.nationalgeographic.com/jobs. Please select "Geography Intern" posting to apply.
In addition to the online application, students must furnish all of the following materials:
1. a short essay (500 words or less) relating experiences that led the applicant to formal training in geography, stating his or her professional goals, and explaining why she or he wishes to participate in the National Geographic Geography Intern Program;
2. a complete résumé that includes each of the following: the applicant's extracurricular activities, awards and recognitions; employment history; special interests, hobbies, and travel; and a list of specific skills in cartography if interested in being considered for an internship in the Maps Division;
3. up-to-date official college transcripts, including undergraduate course work if applying as a master's degree student;
4. three letters of recommendation (one from the applicant's department chair or academic advisor and two from geography faculty members with whom the applicant has been associated);
5. a cover letter that clearly states the semesters (Spring 2014, Summer 2014, Fall 2014) that the applicant is available and the applicant's first choice of semesters.
All these materials must be enclosed in one envelope (including the sealed confidential recommendation letters and transcripts) to:
Robert E. Dulli, Director
Geography Intern Program
National Geographic Society
1145 17th Street N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20036-4688
All applications, both online and mailed, must be received by October 11, 2013. An applicant will not be considered if all required materials are not received at this time.
Notification of Selection
Applicants selected for the three sessions in 2014 will be notified by December 13, 2013.